First courthouses in Corning
The Arkansas General Assembly, spurred by passes to the legislators that were handed out mid-March, organized Clayton County on March 24, 1873. Three commissioners set the county seat at Corning and the first term of court was held here on March 16. No courthouse had been built, but it was a cloudless day, in Spring, so the session convened under the trees of Young's Grove, later to become Court Square.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition. https://www.etypeservices.com/J.%20V.%20Rockwell%20PublishingID251/